On October 4, 2015, PRE-EMPT hosted a pre-congress course, PRE-EMPT Global Symposium on the Hypertensive Disorders of Pregnancy, at the XXI FIGO Congress in Vancouver, Canada. Our symposium was truly global, as we had international experts in maternal health research from countries such as Argentina, Australia, India, and South Africa who spoke at our symposium. The main topics of discussion were:
- diagnosis and classification of the hypertensive disorder of pregnancy with tools for identifying risk in women with pregnancy hypertension preventing pre-eclampsia
- risk assessment in women and fetuses when pregnancies are complicated by pregnancy hypertension
- management of severe and non-severe pregnancy hypertension
- fluid management, anaesthesia and standardising approach for magnesium sulphate use
- timing of delivery in women with pregnancy hypertension
- long term outcomes following pregnancy hypertension.
At the end of the symposium, we had the honour to have FIGO President, Sir Sabaratnam Arulkumaran, in attendance during the announcement of the GLOWM textbook “The FIGO Textbook of Pregnancy Hypertension – An evidence-based guide to monitoring, prevention and management,” and the mock cover of the textbox was presented. The textbook is anticipated to be released in 2016.
In addition, at FIGO, our international PRE-EMPT team presented nineteen scientific posters, a panel session on the lessons to date of the PRE-EMPT project, and seven oral presentations on various topics related to hypertension in pregnancy.
Thank you to everyone who came to our well-attended symposium and panel discussions.